1/17/12

688.18

I'm embarrassed by the low digits in my bank account. But when you don't have a job and you have to eat and you want to make the most of your last weeks in Sacramento before a big adventure, then I guess this is what you'd expect to happen. Someone randomly commented on a post I wrote at the beginning of this experiment that said, "Don't fuck yourself." It was probably the best advice anyone gave me at the time. Thankfully I think I've avoided fucking myself. Knock on wood. I certainly did come close, though. I'm $688.18 away from penniless. 

That said, my Sac State Student Fees have been paid for, which means the government loan lenders have distributed my financial aid and Sac State took out the bits that they wanted. Now I'm waiting for the leftovers to trickle down and direct-deposit into my bank account. I had a dream this happened last night. It was a great dream. Half of that will pay off my new credit debt.

I got an e-mail from the financial aid folks at Sac State that told me to expect my direct deposit on the 19th. That's two more days. The 19th is 11 days before I'm supposed to be leaving the country. I need that money to buy my other plane tickets and my insurance. I have to do all of this within the next 13 days and make sure to have time to drop off the rest of my paperwork with Global Education on a weekday before 5:00pm. I know that I've just been repeating that for the past few posts, which is why I've stopped writing as often because nothing really has changed. 

In the outside world, however, things continue to flow along. I'm having a great time bonding with my housemates and keeping my bedroom door open. I've been spending time with friends whenever I get the chance. Jenny and I are still going strong, Skyping and Kakao-Talking as much as possible. I've been writing a new story and I really like it so far. I've won a few games of backgammon. I'm hooked on a show called Workaholics. I've been pretty lazy about learning Turkish, but here and there I watch a lesson on YouTube. I still have more books to pack. The honest truth is I've been doing a lot of nothing, filling my mind with random stumbled-upon junk on the internet, listening to a lot of music, smoking a lot of weed, spending too much money on eating out, wasting hours at coffee shops to feel productive, taking extra-long showers, going on walks without purpose, contemplating the future and crossing my fingers that my present plans will work out.

Worst case scenario, I hope, is that my family helps me get the tickets earlier (as in: tomorrow). But a part of me wants to steer clear from asking them for help. I'll take it if they offer, but even if they didn't I think I can still get away with waiting until next week if I have to. 

Anyway. That's life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment