1/8/12

908.58

Munk is now a pillow doll and he lives with Jenny in South Korea.



Spent my lunch at Old Soul meeting Jinna and Brian, who recently moved to Sacramento from Tahoe and Jinna's looking to teach yoga. I read some "Farewell to Arms" and wrote more in the robot story, drank a lot of coffee and thoroughly enjoyed a blackberry scone. Jake and I got invited to see "The Artist" with Kelly but Jake's got plans with his new lady friend. A few hours later, Kelly stopped by before the movie for a quick smoke and we happened to overhear a speech being given by loudspeaker on the steps of the Lutheran church around the corner. They were holding a ceremony to speak out against gun violence on the year-anniversary of the Tucson massacre that almost took out Giffords. A sweet old lady gave us battery-powered candles to hold. Two news vans and a half-dozen reporters meandered through the crowd of mourners, onlookers and politicians. After the local big-namers spoke, people from the crowd went up to speak the names of those they'd lost to gun violence and the church bell rang out for each of them. That's the part that affected me. You forget sometimes that the random deaths we hear in sound bites on the news are connected to real people like you and me. Kelly and I left before they assembled for some kind of march around the block. The movie was great. A silent film about silent films. Genius. Kelly dropped me off afterward and I hung out with Kevin for a while in the attic, smoking something that tasted like lemon, then something that tasted like coconut, before eating Ramen for dinner and calling it a night around ten. Spent some time admiring Jenny's photographs of pillow Munk, a real-life version of the cartoon. It's awesome. Now a police helicopter is flying around with a searchlight and a loudspeaker that I can't understand--sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher. A train horn blows. A car drives by with squeaky brakes. I'll miss the sounds of Sacramento nights. I wonder what Istanbul sounds like. Speaking of, I made an online appointment with the Foreign Police in Istanbul where I can get my residency permit. I think I need more passport photos. I feel like a celebrity handing out all these pictures of myself. Financial Aid should be here by Friday. Until then, I'll keep drifting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment