12/26/11

1,442.68

Well, technically I have $1,722, but until I deposit the Christmas cash and find out how to access my online banking for the checking account my mom opened for me at her bank, I'll just stick to the amount that Wells Fargo tells me I have. 

Christmas has come and gone. Here I am staying up past midnight when I shoulda been asleep three hours ago since we all have to wake up at 3:30 AM for a drive down to the airport. But maybe it's the trip to Denver that has me sleepless. Maybe it's because I'm not stoned and a guy gets used to falling asleep high. Who knows? Maybe I'm just really jonesing for some blog time.

Jenny sent me a remarkably sexy e-mail. Suffice to say, I'm still blushing.

The family and I saw War Horse after breakfast and gift-opening, joining a surprising amount of other families at the cinema this crisp Christmas day, and the movie was actually really good. I'm not one to doubt Spielberg, but films about animals haven't intrigued me since The Homeward Bound, so I had my doubts that Spielberg would pull it off this time. In the end, I'd say it was one of the best movies of the year. It just did what movies are supposed to do: it mattered. It's good to see that real heart and soul can exist in big-budget movies these days, especially after seeing Sherlock Holmes 2 and Mission Impossible 4, which were glorious to behold but as meaningful as the writing on a bathroom stall. Just watch the scene in War Horse when the armies hold fire as a British soldier and German soldier meet in the middle of No Man's Land to help untangle the horse ("Joey") from a barbed-wire mess and tell me it doesn't lift your hope for humanity and the goodness in people. 

I'm feeling homesick for my little room, but I'm glad for this opportunity to bounce around for a while. First it was San Diego, now I'm in Auburn and tomorrow it's Denver. I need to get used to not having a home to feel sick for. Sometime in January I need to go see my Dad and the Fryer side of the family down in Redwood City, too, since it'll be seven months until I'm back in the states. I'll be waiting until the 13th or so to buy the rest of my plane tickets, I think, and my mom's been giving me some good financial advice for the coming month. It's nice to know that my family is there to help me, but it's equally nice to know that I've handled all of this stuff on my own so far. I have no idea where any of these choices will lead, but that's half the fun of making big choices, isn't it? That said, I've got one month left in my little room and I know it'll feel strange (at first) to live anywhere else, so I'm going to make the most of it because I really love my little room and it'll be hard not to miss the windowsill, the ceiling stain, the old doors and the memories.

Well that feels better. I think I can sleep now.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment